Join us for the first day of Rosh Hashanah this year: SLC’s annual child-friendly, camp-style service, overlooking the lake, with lots of singing, and with all of the prayers translated and explained. Maybe you usually don’t do anything on Rosh Hashanah, but feel like you’d like to do something meaningful. Maybe you usually attend a synagogue service, but would like a different kind of spiritual experience. This Surprise Lake service offers a wonderful chance to connect with the New Year in a place of transcendent beauty.
Following the service, we offer activities for all ages and a buffet lunch at 1pm. No fee and no tickets required, although we ask that you consider making a donation to help support Surprise Lake Camp, a nonprofit organization, and the campers we serve.
- Mini-Rosh Hashanah Olympics – Join some of our summer staff members as they lead children younger than 13 years of age in a number of fun games. All children who are not staying with their families during activity times must attend this program. No adults please.
- Art Project – No artistic ability is needed for this activity. It’s fun and it’s easy to join in. Adults and children accompanied by adults are welcome to participate.
- Meditation – Sit back, relax and soak in the spirit of the day! This program is for adults only and will be led by the talented Bobbi Vogel. You are certain to enjoy this calming and tranquil activity. No children please.
- Yoga – Led by the accomplished Missy Vogel. A perfect program for yoga enthusiasts or for beginners, this will be a wonderful treat on this special day. No children please.
- Kosher Wine Tasting – Our very own Joan Vogel, a Languedoc-Roussillon finalist, and sommelier will lead us in the sensory examination of some wonderful wine options. No children please.
- Reflective Hike to the Hinterlands – Join Bradley on a short reflective hike to the Hinterlands. This reflective trek will allow you to soak in the spirit of the day while enjoying the natural beauty that surrounds our campsite. This will not be a long hike, but it is uphill and rugged, so please wear appropriate footwear and bring water. No children please.
- Sing Along – An unorganized jam session with singing and guitars led by Mike Zbar and Ken Pollet. Adults and children welcome.
- Free Time/Family Time – Guests wishing to do their own thing during the activity time may enjoy our grounds but are asked not to disrupt any of the activities taking place. Our equipment shack will also be open during this time if anyone would like to sign out sports equipment.
- Surprise Lake Camp
382 Lake Surprise Road
Cold Spring, NY 10516 United States + Google Map