Friends & Family Spring Hike Day
Join us for a wonderful spring day of hiking with new and old friends back at Camp.
The fee for Family Hike Day is $25 per person or $100 per family of 4 or more.
Due to COVID-19, please read the entire page carefully and be in touch with any questions.
All hikers MUST register in advance (see below), no one will be allowed to enter Camp if they have not registered in advance.
Please note that each hike has a limited number of spots for hikers.
All proceeds will benefit Surprise Lake Camp!
9:45am: Check-in for 10am hikes (see schedule below)
10:00am: SHARP: Hikes begin
11:15am: Check-in for Cornish Discovery hike
11:30am: SHARP: Cornish Discovery hike begins
Bull Hill: (10am) Led by Whammy. Difficulty level is moderate. You will be climbing up a gradually elevated trail to reach a spectacularly scenic view of the Hudson River, and, if clear visibility, views of NYC. You must be able to walk uphill for 20 minutes without getting out of breath for this hike. Approximate time hiking is 3 hours
Breakneck Overlook Loop: (10am) Led by Aliza Kline and Jeff Berk. This moderate hike has the glory of climbing Breakneck Ridge (this is the 4th peak of Breakneck) without actually climbing up the rock face. We will take a scenic, walk in the woods through Cornish, climbing up the mountain towards this overlook, loop around to Hudson Overlook, and then come back down into camp. Approximate time hiking is 3 hours. You must be able to walk 20 minutes up an incline without getting short of breath in order to choose this hike.
Fire Tower: (10am) Led by Jason Hoffman and Mike Tenenhaus. This hike is the most strenuous of the four being offered and wonderfully rewarding. Hikers begin on the mainside ballfield and immediately ascend uphill. At times you will be scurrying on hands and knees almost straight up some rock faces. Please consider this hike only if you are a seasoned hiker and able to hike at least 20 minutes uphill without getting out of breath. Approximate time hiking is 3 hours
Cornish Discovery: (11:30am) Led by Gayle Doyle and Seth Stein. Explore our historic Northgate ruins. Difficulty level ranges from rustic, unleveled roads to mild inclines. This is a great option for families with children. Approximate time hiking is 2 hours
- All participants must register in advance (see the form below). If you have not registered in advance, you will not be allowed to enter Camp.
- Each family must fill out their own registration form. You may not register for another family.
- Please provide cell phone numbers for each hiker who has their own phone (for emergency purposes).
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- You must wear a mask when at Camp AND during the hike when closer than 6 feet from others
- Hikers will need to remain 6 feet away from non-family members and / or wear a mask during their hike
- Buildings at Camp will be closed except for bathrooms at the Main Building and Little Playhouse
- Hike Day is for people hiking only, if you are not hiking, we are sorry but you will not be allowed to stay at Camp.
- Sorry, NO PETS are allowed at Camp.
- A brown-bag lunch and snacks are strongly suggested. This year we will not be providing any food.
- All participants must bring an ample supply of water.
- Dress in layers. It can be quite chilly in the morning, and will likely warm up
throughout the day.
- Bring a camera for great photo opportunities!
Family Hike Day Spring 2021
- Surprise Lake Camp
382 Lake Surprise Road
Cold Spring, NY 10516 United States + Google Map