- This event has passed.
Visiting Day (for full-summer campers)
We are thrilled to welcome the families of full summer campers to visit camp.
This summer Camp is inviting all of our guests and campers to enjoy a complementary (kosher) BBQ lunch.
For those coming up by train (please see form at the bottom of the page):
We offer families a shuttle from and to the Cold Spring Train Station. The train leaves Grand Central Station at 9:45am and arrives in Cold Spring at 11:10am. The return train to Grand Central leaves at 5:17pm and arrives at 6:53pm. The afternoon shuttle back to the train station will leave camp at 4:40pm.
What to bring:
- Many families set up picnic areas – feel free to bring folding chairs and/or picnic blankets, some families even bring tents!
- A bathing suit and towel.
- A water bottle.
What NOT to bring:
- Visiting Day is limited to family members only. Family members who are under 16 must stay in the company of a parent/guardian throughout the day.
- Don’t bring ANY pets.
- Don’t bring a barbecue!
- Don’t bring alcoholic beverages of any kind.
Rules & Reminders for the Day
- Campers cannot be taken out of camp. We are sorry, but there are no exceptions.
- Visiting Day produces a lot of extra traffic on Lake Surprise Road. Please drive extremely slowly! Be courteous and do not honk your horn around blind turns.
- If you arrive before 12:00pm, you will be asked to wait—this start time will be strictly observed.
- Visiting Day ends at 4:30pm
- We discourage smoking at Camp. Visitors will only be permitted to smoke in camp’s two designated smoking areas: there is a smoking area behind the Mainside Canteen and behind the kitchen on Teenside. In a place where camper health and safety are paramount, we’re sure you will support our effort to keep second hand smoke away from children.
- We cannot reschedule, so the day is rain or shine. Please dress appropriately.
- We want to remind you that the terrain at Camp can be quite rugged. Please keep this in mind when thinking about what you wear on your feet.
- Please remember that Mainside campers cannot keep food in their cabins. You may bring food on Visiting Day, but unfinished food should not be left with your camper. If you are bringing food to Camp, please do not bring food with peanuts or tree nuts to avoid issues with campers who have life threatening allergies.
- Camp maintains a strict no-tipping policy. Please do not place the counselors in an uncomfortable position. The best way to express appreciation for your camper’s counselor is to make a donation to the camp scholarship fund in their honor. This can be done in the main office, or online. The staff member(s) you wish to recognize will receive a letter stating that a donation was made in their honor, and they really appreciate this.
- Last, the best goodbyes are the briefest. The best thing to do is to quickly check your child back in (no later than 4:30pm), give them a quick hug and kiss, and then leave the rest to the caring counselors who will be on hand to help the campers return to our regular activities. We have a bunch of fun events planned for them for Trip Break!
If you are interested in reserving seats on our shuttle from and to the Cold Spring train station, please sign up here:
- Surprise Lake Camp
382 Lake Surprise Road
Cold Spring, NY 10516 United States + Google Map